For participation in the university part of the adaptation course, proof of German language skills at level C1 (TestDaF with 4x4 points, TELC C1 Hochschule, DSH-2, Goethe-Zertifikat C2, Österreichisches Sprachdiplom C1 Oberstufe Deutsch or Deutsches Sprachdiplom Stufe 2 (DSD II)) or highly advanced language skills (at level C1, for admission with a condition) is required.
To prepare for the adaptation course, we offer various intensive German courses.
The International Office offers various mentoring and tutoring programmes for students in the adaptation course for foreign teachers:
- Study Guides: The study guides provide orientation and support for international first-semester students. They supervise the international first-semester students of a degree programme and are themselves advanced students of that programme.
- Individual mentors: Individual mentors offer support, for example, in preparing for and following up on courses, with questions about everyday study life, as well as with questions about the organisation of studies, forms of examination, etc.
- Examination tutors: Students in the adaptation course for foreign teachers can receive support in this programme from a student tutor in preparing for examinations (for a written exam, paper or homework).
Further information and registration options for the programmes can be found on this website.
For students in the adaptation course at the University of Vechta, the module "General School Internship" (9 CP) in the field of "Educational Sciences" can also be included within the framework of the individual study plan determined by the university - provided that the decision of the Regional State Office for Schools and Education provides for corresponding credit points. In this way, students in the adaptation course can gain accompanied practical experience in the German school system prior to the practical school training.
The module consists of a preparatory course (always in the summer semester) as well as a following 6-week internship phase, in which students, guided by mentors (teachers of the respective internship school), participate and actively contribute to everyday school and teaching life and are given the opportunity to reflect their internship impressions.
Within the DAAD-funded project "Ukrainian Teachers & Social Workers: Shaping the Future, Building Bridges", scholarships can be given to Ukrainian students in the adaptation course for foreign teachers. Further information on the project website.
From the summer semester of 2024, a study module (in a hybrid format) is being planned in the field of educational sciences, which is designed to meet the specific needs of students in the adaptation course for international teachers.
The Coordination Centre Family-Friendly University will be happy to advise you on the compatibility of studies and family and on compensatory arrangements to make your studies more family-friendly.
Paper (in German) as PDF download on objectives, hurdles and possible solutions in the recognition procedure for foreign teaching qualifications
The International Office regularly informs about new offers for prospective foreign students and teachers with and without a refugee background at the University of Vechta as well as about application deadlines.
The newsletter is aimed not only at prospective students and teachers with and without a refugee background, but also at all interested counselling centres and volunteers.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list to receive the newsletter, please write a short email to Dr. Katrin Schumacher (email@example.com).
The following groups of people (even if they have occasionally worked as teachers in their home country) cannot be assessed by the State Office for Schools and Education and therefore cannot take part in an adaptation period:
- Teachers without an academic degree (i.e., teachers with a non-academic teaching qualification)
- Teachers without formal teaching qualifications (i.e., teachers with an academic degree, but without complete teacher training; this applies, for example, to people from countries in which a teacher examination or probationary year is required after graduation and who cannot provide proof of this)
- International students in a teacher training degree programme without a degree
Teachers to whom this applies can directly contact the University of Vechta in order to request recognition of skills (or acceptance of skills acquired outside of higher education) and for being placed in a higher semester of the teacher training degree programme (Bachelor Combined Studies or Master of Education).