Sie verwenden einen veralteten Browser!Um zukunftsfähig zu sein, wurde unsere Webseite für die neuesten Technologien entwickelt.
Mit dem von Ihnen verwendeten Browser kann unsere Webseite nicht korrekt ausgeführt werden.
Skip to main content
Coming to Vechta
Studies, research, short-term stay: We support you on your way to the University of Vechta and during your stay or studies.

Taxes in Germany

Do you have to pay taxes in Germany as an international visiting researcher? This depends on various factors.

1.     Residence:

  • If your residence or habitual abode is in Germany, e.g., if you are here for a longer stay and have registered in Germany, you are usually subject to unlimited tax liability (unbeschränkte Steuerpflicht) in Germany. If you are subject to unlimited tax liability, the entire income is charged with a tax in Germany.
  • If your residence or habitual abode is not in Germany, but you still generate income from self-employment or employment, you are subject to limited tax liability (beschränkte Steuerpflicht). This means that the double taxation agreement (Doppelbesteuerungsabkommen) applies to you. More detailed information on these cases can be found at EURAXESS.

2.     Type of occupation:

  • If you are employed, e.g., if you work as a research fellow or professor in Germany, taxes are deducted directly from your salary and passed on to the tax office (Finanzamt) by your employer. This tax is called wage tax (Lohnsteuer). At the end of the year, you can file an income tax return (Einkommensteuererklärung) at the tax office at your place of residence (in Vechta, the tax office is in Rombergstr. 49; office hours can be found on the website). With this, a part of the taxes you have paid can often be refunded. You can obtain the necessary documents from the Finanzamt Vechta (or, if you do not live in Vechta, from the tax office responsible for your place of residence) or online at the online tax office Elster
  • If your costs of living are covered by a scholarship, you are often exempt from income tax in Germany according to the Income Tax Act. Please clarify this with your scholarship provider to be safe. Information on tax exemption for scholarships is also provided by EURAXESS.

If you have any questions on the subject of taxes, please feel free to contact us at the Welcome Centre.