⇒ I plan to bring my family (partner and/or kids) with me to Germany: do I have to apply for a special visa or residence permit on their behalf?

-If you are an EU or EEA citizen, your family members enjoy the same rights to entry and stay in Germany as you. Hence, they can accompany you during your research stay in Germany without need for a visa or residence permit.

-If you are an EU or EEA citizen but your family members are not, they might have to apply for a visa depending on their country of citizenship (see page on visa and entry in Germany). However, if they do need a visa, they won't have to apply for it before their entry in Germany, as it will be granted to them in the form of a visa stamp in their passport when crossing the border.

-If you are no EU or EEA citizen, your family members may apply and be granted a residence permit by showing proof of their means of subsistence.

⇒ The term "family member" usually indicates the spouse and children up to 21 years of age. If you are not married with your partner, they will have to prove their own reason of travel/stay in Germany autonomously.

Last revision: 2020-09-15 · Print page

Contact person:

Dr. Caterina Bonora

Welcome Centre of the University of Vechta 

E-Mail: Opens window for sending emailwelcomecentre[at]uni-vechta[dot]de 

Room G 08

Tel. +49. (0) 4441.15 747
Fax +49. (0) 4441.15 67 613